Java 16 & 17. What's new and noteworthy??
Another (half a) year has passed, another major Java™ version has been released. Java was supposed “to be slow”. However, Java turns out to evolve so fast, that next releases aren’t just version bumps, but might significantly change the rules of the game. That’s a good reason to check out what’s new in Java. We’re going to cover:
- Records, where and how to use them, apart from DTO/VO
- Pattern matching with instanceof A.K.A. Smart casting
- Sealed classes, new dimension of types extensibility (for inheritance)
- Warnings from Jigsaw (–illegal-access strikes back!)
- And Valhalla (for value-based classes abuse)
- Talking to native stuff from Panama
- and more.
All visualised in actual code, not just slides.
I was able to talk on Java 16 and 17 for more almost 3 hours at Devoxx France and also at Devoxx Poland (but the video hasn’t been released yet.)